Friday, September 5, 2008

Hair of the Dog, 9/5/08

Don't worry just yet. I was at the game again last night and the best thing I can say is, at least there were no guys sitting behind me that thought Tony Gwynn Jr. is a better hitter than Mike Cameron. The Crew got a bunch of hits, but failed to deliver. Again. Fielder and Braun didn't do much. Again. The Padres are terrible, but looked like... well... like the Mets against us. I think the thing to remember is that in baseball, even the best teams lose--sometimes 4 games in a row. Even the best teams look like garbage sometimes. It's especially tough to stomach when it's this close to the end of the season, but it's still just four losses in a long regular season. Don't panic yet. If we drop another one, with CC on the mound against the Padres, maybe then we should reevaluate whether to push the panic button.

The NFL started yesterday. The Giants from New York defeated the Redskins from Washington 16-7. The Packers don't play until Monday. Are we ever going to get to play a Sunday game? This is really screwing up my acclimation into fall. Although, given that baseball still matters, that's okay.

Anyway, this seems like as good a time as any for my Packers season prediction. I think the Pack will go 10-6 and win their division. I also think they'll make it to the NFC Championship game again. This probably reeks of homersism, but I see no reason they'll get worse. They're a young team that gets more experienced at every position... except QB of course. But with the offense they run, Rodgers should be fine. The only reason I don't think they'll match last years win total is that I don't think that team would do that if you replayed the 2007 season. I think Rodgers will click with the receivers and I think Grant will have a big year. On Defense, Kampman will be a monster and Cullen Jenkins will come back strong.

What do you guys think?

That's all I've got for today, but it seems like Paul has had a prolific morning. Today's Hair of the Dog is brought to you by Berghoff (pronounced "birdbath") Dark. My beer of choice in college.

2 comments:

PaulNoonan said...

Birdbath? Really? Never heard that before.

DannyNoonan said...

That's what me and my buddies called it at The Joynt.