Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hair of the Dog, 9/25/08

One night a man had a dream. He was walking along the beach with C.C. Sabathia, and across the sky flashed scenes from the 2008 baseball season. In each scene, he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand; one made by him, and the other made by C.C. Sabathia.

When the last scene of the 2008 baseball season flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of the 2008 baseball season, there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the worst times in the 2008 baseball season.

This bothered him very much, so he asked C.C. Sabathia about it. "Carsten, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I've noticed that during times of trouble, there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why you left me when I needed you most."

C.C. Sabthia answered, "My precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial, when you saw only one set of footprints, that's when I was carrying you."


The Brewers are tied with the Mets in the wild card race with 4 games left to play thanks to a win against he Pirates, and a Mets' extra innings loss to the Cubs. Sabathia pitched seven solid innings on short rest, allowing one run and striking out 11 bucs. That was enough for the still-struggling offense to squeak out a 4-2 win. I think it's safe to say that if we do make the playoffs, it's thanks to that big lefty. He's done everything we could have possibly asked of him and a whole lot more. Tom H. notes that he's cool with it.

At Shea Stadium, the Cubs tried their best to lose, especially Carlos Z, who walked in a run right before giving up a grand slam in the 3rd. But they pulled out an extra innings win thanks to a Derrek Lee double and an Aramis Ramirez dinger. The Phillies also lost in a game in which both benched cleared due to the shit-talking of former Brewer Julian Tavarez. The Phillies may still be important in the wild card race.

Yovani starts tonight. On top of last night's win, we also get the big news that Yovani Gallardo will start tonight, marking his first start since he tore his ACL in May. It's anyone's guess as to how productive Yo will be in his situation--being thrust into a must-win game after recovering from a season-ender in record time--but it speaks volumes of his work ethic and his talent that we're even talking about it. I hope he throws a bunch of perfect innings.

The Bucks are wearing red. In minor news that nobody gives a shit about yet, the Bucks unveiled their new road uniforms, and they're red. Like really red. But whatever, it's better than Christmas themed. Or purple.

Today's hair of the dog is brought to you by Harp lager, which I drank a few of at the biggest dive in northern California while I watched baseball last night. There's something awesome about watching a ball game at a dive bar.

12 comments:

E.S.K. said...

Oh shit...I forgot the Bucks got Jefferson. Maybe they will be ab actuall professional team this year.

Anonymous said...

Whenever I hear that "footsteps" thing I think of Dumph's little brother explaining it to Drugs Delaney in Outside Providence. Drugs's response: "fuckin God. That guy's alright." Totally underrated movie.

Anonymous said...

It will be confusing when the Bucks play the Rockets. But really, do we need to even mention hoops yet? It was a great couple of games last night. I hope Yo has it tonight.

DannyNoonan said...

I'm watching stupid Sportscenter on Stupid ESPN, and the Sportscenter people are all clearly pushing for the Mets, but they showed a poll of which two teams viewers wanted to make the playoffs, and "Phillies and Brewers" got like 47%. "Phillies and Mets" was like 27% and "Mets and Brewers" was 25%. the stupid Sportscenter people blamed this on "Mets haters."

PaulNoonan said...

I know that non-New Yorkers tend notto like New York sports teams, and I fully admit that there are Yankee-haters, but are there really that many Mets haters? To be honest, I don't really think about the Mets much unless we're playing them or in a playoff race with them. I don't care about the Mets enough to hate them. They're like the White Sox.

DannyNoonan said...

We spent most of our Brewer watching lives hating the White Sox.

E.S.K. said...

do we need to even mention hoops yet?

consider it gymnastics for your brain. Discussing two things at once...unpossible.

PaulNoonan said...

I always hated the Twins more, and I dislike the Cubs far more than I ever disliked the White Sox.

E.S.K. said...

I agree with both, although I hate no fans more than White Sox fans.

steveegg said...

Do I need to remind everybody who owns the White Sox (the worst owner ever, Jerry Reinsdorf)? Do I need to remind everybody for whose benefit the 1994 season was cut short (Reinsdorf)? I still hate the White Sox with the power of 1,000 supernovas, and I still go as far as to root for the Yankees when the two teams play. Maybe it's my "a tick too young to remember the White Sox spending a few series in County Stadium in the late 1960s" bias showing, but the only time I don't root for whoever is playing the Sox is when that team is the Cubs (I try to find a way for both teams to lose).

I still would rather have Yo go during the Cubs series, especially since we're staring at Suppan Friday and a distinct likelyhood of Bush on short rest Saturday.

E.S.K. said...

Why the fuck do I care about Jerry Reinsdorf? I mean I hate him for being a former IRS tax attorney but he's never owned a team I gave a shit about.

PaulNoonan said...

Here's what I don't like about the White Sox:

1. Their fans tend to beat people up.

2. Their fans are annoying in Wrigleyville when they play each other, but the Cub fans respond in kind.

3. I dunno. Disco demolition was pretty funny, actually. The Black Sox scandal is too far gone for me to care about and people were punished. I don't care about Reinsdorf.