Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Pitching staff.....worried yet?

Gallardo tossed another turd yesterday (5 innings, 6 hits, 6 earned runs, 2 walks and 2 k's...including 3 bombs) his second in two games.  Riske and Villanueva are pitching awful, Looper and Hoffman are out indefinitely, DiFelice is coming off a shelling that probably killed his roster chances, Jeff Suppan is pitching like Jeff Suppan, McClung has struggled in limited work and not a single bubble pitcher is making a strong case for deserving an open spot. 

It's bleak out there.

Dave Bush, Manny Parra and Mitch Stetter are really the lone bright spots.  I know it's Spring but the season starts in two weeks and 7 pitchers sure to make the team are either terrible or inactive.  I'll give Gallardo a pass as he's shown dominant stuff this spring, it's possible he's just trying things out and getting a feel for different pitchers.  The rest of these mopes?  Lost.

On that note, is anyone else a touch perturbed that after coaching these guys for a month Macha sees fit to call two pitchers out to the media?  Seems to me like that is a big f you to Villanueva and Riske. Considering that was one of the complaints about him, throwing players under the ol' media bus, I find it strange he'd be so candid.

Maybe we'll get lucky and everything will come together once they travel north but right now the Brewers pitching staff is looking incredibly sub-par and is inspiring anything but confidence.

6 comments:

Kyle Lobner said...

Define "turd." Yovani Gallardo didn't pitch all that well yesterday, but pitched 5 no-hit innings his previous time out. In fact, all spring he'd had one bad outing against the Royals, and pitched 13 scoreless in his other appearances.

E.S.K. said...

I defined turd by posting his line. I'd say anytime you give up more runs than innings pitched you can officially call it a turd without too much trouble.

His rough outing was just the jumping off point, I said that I'm not terribly worried about him. The rest of the staff.....

DannyNoonan said...

I just keep telling myself that it's only spring training. And that if just 2 of our 5 or 6 "young guys" have career years we'll put up 7 runs a game.

Also, I'll be able to see the entire staff very early on as I will be going to the games on April 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th and possibly the 12th. Nice, huh?

PaulNoonan said...

Impressive. I'm with my brother on this. I'm worried about the injured guys and the depth, but I'm not worried about Yo (yet), Manny, or Bush. Or Suppan really, as I know what I'm in for their.

If the bullpen is short arms, better early than late. I'm probably most concerned about Looper, I suppose. I'd be more concerned about Hoffman if I thought he was a better pitcher.

E.S.K. said...

I'm most worried about Villy and Riske to be honest. Those were supposed to be the two big middle innings horses and they look absolutely TERRIBLE so far.

Chris said...

What is up with CV it is not like he is a doe eyed rookie he has been in the show for almost 4 whole seasons and I cannot remember him looking this bad for a prolonged period like this?

I have to agree at this point in the time line all we can hope for is they play "Bash your way to glory" baseball and win 7-6 or 9-8 most nights